Popular Post

The Great Credit Card Debate


How many of you have store credit cards? I admit that I have a few. Most of the time we are told that having a bunch of credit cards will lead to debt and could potentially look bad on your credit card report.  I disagree. If you manage your cards successfully, having store cards can actually save you money in the long run! Especially if you are a shopaholic like me.

I do not do a lot of vintage/thrifted shopping. I tend to shop from stores in the mall or at outlets. I've only recently started shopping in boutiques that are near my house.  Since I shop a lot, I like to be rewarded for spending my money.  Hence the store credit card.  I have cards for the following stores:

Macy's
Victoria Secret
New York & Company
Express
Target

These are probably the 5 stores that I shop in the most.  Macy's always has coupons that you can use if you purchase with your card.  I am now a VIP Victoria Secret Angel Card Member so I get additional rewards. I get reward cards up to $30 every now and then, and recently received and email to receive a free deluxe sample of their new perfume without a purchase. I just have to present my card at the register.  New York & Company sends out birthday rewards, and Express sends out reward coupons for so many points that you receive on the card for shopping.  They range from $10 to $30 also to use in the store.  When I use my Target card I get an additional 5% off my total purchase automatically all the time!!

Why would I ever give up these cards? I wouldn't.  Because I shop in these stores so often, there's not point to get rid of these added benefits. Now I'm not saying you should run up the credit limits on these cards. But if you are good with credit.  Buy everything in the store on the card that you want and then go home and make a payment right away for the amount you put on the card! That way you get the points/rewards but do not get into credit card debt.

I do not recommend having cards for stores that you do not shop in all the time, because it's a waste of credit.  Just have a card in your frequent stops and enjoy the rewards!

Love,